Historic Jasmine Plantation, located in New Kent County, Virginia, was originally patented by George Morris in 1680. Morris was a surveyor and a friend of George Washington. He was also a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses from New Kent County.
The existing house, built in 1750, is located in front of the original Morris home site and was used as a headquarters for Gen. Washington's Revolutionary Army on Oct. 8th, 1781. Exercises were performed in the front pasture. Two regiments were documented as performing specific exercises from 9:00 to 11:00 AM and from 3:00 to half past 4:00 PM each day. George Washington and the Revolutionary Army proceeded to Yorktown, winning the final battle of the Revolutionary War.
Historic Jasmine Plantation at one time consisted of 1,100 acres. It stayed in by the Morris family for more than 100 years, until 1850.
Henry and Matte Brenneman purchased the property in 1918. Matte was an accomplished artist. A mural in the front stairwell, as well as many paintings produced by Matte, adorn the walls of Jasmine.